Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Why I love being Catholic....

Today's blessing is kind of uniquely Catholic.  You see, we believe that Jesus is truly present in the Eucharist:  body, blood, soul, and divinity.  When I am in the presence of the Eucharist, I believe that I am in the presence of Christ Himself.

About a month or so ago, Mike and I realized that we were being called to dedicate at least an hour a week spent in Adoration, or time spent in prayer, with Jesus in the Eucharist.  With his crazy call schedule, we really only had one day a week that we could dedicate to always showing up to the Adoration Chapel at our church: Tuesdays.   So, we committed to an hour every week, guaranteeing that Christ would not be left alone between 8-9pm on Tuesdays.

This regular Holy Hour has quickly become a blessing in our lives.  Between the two of us, we manage to make sure that at least one of us shows up every Tuesday at 8 pm to spend some time in the presence of Christ.   The past two weeks, I was too sick to go (I didn't want to be coughing and sniffling and disrupting anyone else trying to pray), so Mike went, but I was finally able to make it this week.

I am never let down by Christ.  Whenever I come to Him, and make a true effort to sit and listen to Him, to enter into a truly prayerful time.....He never disappoints.  I am shocked (although I probably shouldn't be) at the blessings He pours out on me during my time spent in Adoration.  Tonight was no different (more on that later).  

So tonight, I am truly blessed by my faith, and the opportunity to spend time in the presence of Christ in the Eucharist.   I love being Catholic.  

(I did "cheat" with this picture.  I couldn't take a picture myself of our Adoration chapel, so this is a picture from my parish's Facebook page)

No comments:

Post a Comment