Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Hiding behind the couch......

It's been a long time since I've updated on my whole "getting healthy" plan.


That's kind of because I fell off of the wagon.  


*hiding behind the couch now...*

.
.
.

Okay, I'm coming back out from behind the couch.   Yes, I kind of fell off of the wagon during Lent.  With the craziness surrounding our adoption paperwork and appointments, and then the onslaught of constant sickness, I kind of gave up on the whole working out and eating right plan.

I didn't completely fall off the wagon, I suppose.  It's more like I just went to the back of the bus and tried to hide from everyone else riding with me.

I stopped blogging about it.  I stopped posting about healthy living in my mommy group.  I just kind of avoided everything exercise or weight loss related for a good two months.

Well, as of yesterday, I had climbed back up to my spot on the front of the bus.   I had tried to run over the weekend, and was thoroughly disgusted in my lack of running ability that I'd worked so hard to improve over the past eight months.   It seems that the minute you stop working out and working towards a goal (a 5K in my case), your body just decides to regress a bit.    Starting back up again is HARD WORK, but I have to do it.  I came so far....I can't give up now!

I was pleasantly surprised to see that I must have done something right when changing my eating habits.  I had one really bad week of bad, processed, convenience foods (the week of the stomach bug) when I didn't want to cook.   I will NEVER again do that on purpose - that food and the huge increase in sugar/carbs did things to my body and psyche that I never want to happen again.  I felt gross, frumpy, groggy, and depressed.  Physically, my hair and skin became SO MUCH oilier, it was unbelievable.  My clothes - in a mere week - became snug.   And rust me when I say that sugar in your bloodstream changes your pH in ways that you don't want to happen  (pretty sure you women out there will know what I am referring to).    It was not a fun week, or a fun week following that one.

Even though it was not fun, that week did have a bit of a highlight:   my body's physical and emotional reaction to the not-so-good food reaffirmed to me that I've managed to change my habits, as well as even my taste buds and cravings.  More affirmation of this came in the form of no weight change on the scale when I stepped on it this morning.  I must be doing something right with my habits if I can maintain my weight loss without even really trying. 

But just maintaining isn't what I need to be doing.  Is maintaining weight loss good?  Sure!  Sometimes it's even great....but it's not where I need to be right now.  Right now, I need to be still in the weight loss mindset.  So, as of yesterday, that's where I'm heading again.

Back into making working out a priority.  I will run my first 5K this July.  Run it, not walk it.   That's going to take some training, and I started back up again yesterday.

Food - good quality, mostly fresh produce, unprocessed food - will again become a priority.   I'd gotten lazy and unmotivated with food preparation.   That must stop - all of us feel better and interact better when our food quality is higher.  Back to promoting all-around health with our food choices and habits.

So, here goes.  I didn't completely fall of the wagon, but I was getting kind of close.   

Not going to fall off this time - let's get this bus going again!

No comments:

Post a Comment